Saturday, December 20, 2008

the not so heavy doll



At the Waldorf school where we attend a parent-child class, Naiya’s favorite doll is the heavy one. She (the doll) is filled with flax seed and, I’m guessing, weighs about 2 or 3 pounds. I traced her on a piece of paper, brought that home and made Ida (otherwise known as The Baby in the Purple Pajamas). Her PJs are permanently affixed and since I didn’t have flax seed and was excited to have her done, I filled her with the buckwheat hulls I had leftover from making some meditation cushions. Unfortunately, it turns out buckwheat hulls aren’t really heavy at all. I think I also could have used rice. Any kind of seed or “grow-able” / “sproutable” filling material can simply be cooked or microwaved to keep it from growing should your baby accidentally get wet. I wouldn’t recommend the buckwheat hulls for dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...