Wednesday, April 20, 2011

the angel in our basement



This is the lovely Sarah.

Sarah is the wonderful woman who currently lives in the space we rent in our basement.  When I say we have a renter in the basement folks often cringe.  The basement?  Of a hundred year old house?  How must that be?  It's actually quite nice.  It's a full on one bedroom apartment with an actual bath in the bathroom, a kitchen (minus an oven) and a fireplace (although that particular feature is not functional).  Sarah even says it's the nicest apartment in which she has ever lived.  Plus she gets her mail delivered by a four year old.  AND has several complimentary visits from said four year old up to four times a day.  (I have to restrain the child.)


Yesterday when I was in the laundry room adjacent to Sarah's apartment, Naiya came down and asked if she could check if Sarah was home.  I gave her permission and she rounded the corner to knock on Sarah's door.  I heard the tap, tap of those little knuckles and a few seconds later (no answer from Sarah) the hysterical cry of my daughter as she ran back into the laundry room and fell sobbing to the floor. 

"I HAVEN'T SEEN SARAH IN SOOOO LONG!!  I LOVE HER SO MUCH!!!  WHEN CAN I SEE SARAH AGAIN?!!?!  IT'S BEEN SO, SO LONG!!!  I LOVE HER SO!"

(I think we last saw Sarah the day before yesterday.)

It took me about three minutes to comfort Naiya with promises that we'd see Sarah tomorrow.

Thankfully, our dear Sarah loves Naiya too.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful! Speaking as the mother of Sarah, I can say with absolutely zero bias that she is a lovely young woman who has many gifts and humor and compassion and love in her big heart. She and Nayia sound like birds of a feather. Oh, Sarah also can be, umm... a little dramatic, just like Nayia.
    Penelope

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...